Thursday, 20 September 2012

Coat Sew-Along!

Two posts in one day, how decadent!
So, in other news, I've decided to join in a coat sew-along.  Gertie Hirsch, whose blog I adore, has come out with several patterns for Butterick.  One of them is this lovely coat (Butterick 5824), and she has set up a sew-along on her blog that's starting in October.



I mentioned months ago that I was hankering after a Sherlock coat, and I haven't forgotten!  I've just been a little bit shy of stepping out into the deep end with it, since I've never made a properly tailored modern coat before, and I want to do it justice.  So now this sew-along has appeared, with a fabulous coat I'd love to make, the motivation of a schedule to stick to, plus plenty of helping hands all doing the same project should I run into any difficulties, and it seems only sensible to pave the way for my next coat with this.  That way, when I come to tackling Sherlock, I'll be well prepared!

One day this will be mine (and I'm not just referring to Benedict Cumberbatch!)
I ended up going fabric shopping yesterday for my Butterick coat.  I found two great shops in Hackney that I'd never been to before, since I've only really ever done the obvious Shepherd's Bush or Soho gambit when I've been visiting London.  Luckily now I live here I have the opportunity to dig a little deeper.
The first was Mermaid Fabrics on Mare Road, which had an eclectic mix of fabrics, including a room dedicated to suiting downstairs.  Not necessarily brilliant for your basics, but good for a rummage.  That's where I found my top fabric, which is an interesting one with an unusual silvery sheen to it, without being overly glitzy.  I'm not sure how well the photo picks it up.  The other was Dalston Mill on Ridley Road, about a 15 minute walk away.  This one was pretty huge; an Aladdin's cave of fabric with bolts piled high up the walls.  I'd already found a nice and cheap lining fabric, but then made the mistake of looking at the duchess satin.  I ended up falling in love with this gorgeous purple colour and splurging on it.  I don't really want to think about how much money I spent that afternoon, these weren't my only purchases!


Toodlepip x

No comments:

Post a Comment