Saturday, 3 March 2012

Birthday books, yay!

So it's my birthday today, the big 23.  Just 2 years left before I reach the quarter century mark, scary stuff indeed.  Anyway, what better way to begin my 23rd year of existence than with two lovely new sewing books, courtesy of les parents - thank you!



Predictably, having given my dad my current amazon wishlist he came back with the two most practical books on there.  Not that that's a criticism, it just made me smile, because it's so typically him.  The pretty picture books (Thierry Mugler: Galaxy Glamour anyone?) will have to wait 'til Christmas, I suppose!

Anyhoo, on to the books themselves.  The first, Metric Pattern Cutting for Women's Wear by Winifred Aldrich, is an absolutely brilliant piece of reference material for flat pattern cutting and adapting basic blocks - something I haven't really done much of since most of my work has been done on the stand.  This is definately an invaluable resource, and is one of the books from my beloved university library that I've lately been having a mild panic about losing the use of once I've graduated.  I can see this all ending with a mad photocopying session in my final week, when I'll be copying literally every page from all the Janet Arnolds, Jean Hunnisetts and Norah Waughs that I can get my hands on.  Sorry ladies, I WILL buy your books when I can afford them!
The second book, Tailoring: The Classic Guide to Sewing the Perfect Jacket, is the one I'm really excited about.  The last couple of weeks I've been nursing the idea of making my very own Sherlock coat, and this book could be the key to making that happen.

See how pretty it is?  So far my only foray into the world of classic tailoring was a waistcoat I made in my second year, and I actually really enjoyed learning how to use the fancy schmancy details that go into a tailored garment.  Hair canvas, tailors tacks, welt pockets... I feel like I've barely scratched the surface, so by taking on this project not only would I be satisfying my inner Sherlock fangirl, but I'd be providing myself with an invaluable learning opportunity to!  I think that's me sold on all accounts.

Plus look how swishy it is:


Swish swish.

No comments:

Post a Comment